Thursday, June 4, 2015

Killer instinct pros and cons

Bomani Jones made a good point 2 nights ago on ESPN radio.

The discussion was about Shaq's comment that he would take Kobe as a teammate over Lebron in part because of Kobe's "killer instinct."


Similar comments have been made about MJ vs. Lebron, that MJ had the killer instinct. (At the same time, MJ and Lebron are also frequently said to both make their teammates better, so the killer instinct and lifting teammates are two separate issues.)


But Bomani made a good counter point: the guys who have the killer instinct are often also the guys who end up overshooting taking 7 straight shots in a row etc. ex. Iverson, Kobe, Carmelo, even early MJ.


I found this article from 1988 in which Pat Riley agreed that Jordan shot too much:

Jordan too much of a shooting star

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-11-22/sports/8802180834_1_bulls-charles-barkley-pat-riley

The author Jerome Holtzman notes at the beginning of the season


"And Jordan does seem to be making more of an effort to find the open man. But the Bulls won`t be a genuine contender until Jordan is among the league leaders in assists."
In Jordan's case, he seems to have channeled it into working without the total team concept, getting his teammates involved. Phil Jackson likely helped facilitate that change. Three years later in 1991 Jordan had his first championship.

Actually several of these guys who shoot huge amounts of shots also are NBA all-time assist leaders including MJ, Kobe, Iverson, etc.


NBA Career Assist Leaders

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ast_career.html

So my take is that the killer instinct is what it is and can be channeled for good or bad.

4 comments:

  1. Continue with the good work!Completely understand what your stance on this matter. Though I might disagree on a number of the finer details,CogniQ I think you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there arent a lot good supply like this.http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/is-cogniq-scam-or-fake/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the valuable information and facts you provide inside your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and also have my youngsters examine up here often. TestoEdge 20 Im very sure they will learn a lot of new things here than anyone else!How is it that just anyone can write a weblog and get as popular as this? Its not like youve said something extremely impressive more like youve painted a fairly picture through an issue that you know nothing about! I dont want to sound mean, right here. But do you really think that you can get away with adding some pretty pictures and not definitely say anything?http://www.supplements4help.com/testoedge20/



    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite insightful submit. Never believed that it was this simple after all. I had spent a beneficial Pure Testo Xplode deal of my time looking for someone to explain this subject clearly and you're the only one that ever did that. Kudos to you! Keep it up Have you considered adding some videos to the article? I think it will really enhance viewers understanding.http://www.supplements4help.com/pure-testo-xplode-scam/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I think your blog is very good i found it on google I think will come back again Hi, I just ran across your blog via Bing. Intellux Your article is truly pertinent to my life at this moment, and I’m really happy I discovered your website.Thank you so much. Its very nice. I like it.http://www.supplements4help.com/intellux/


    ReplyDelete